Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Comparison Conflict

Why do we compare ourselves to others?  Do we truly want to be someone else?  Live in someone elses' body?  Have someone elses' thoughts? Someone elses' family?  Someone elses' problems or successes?

Families are not perfect, if we put everyones' problems on a table, we would probably take our own back...even successes come with consequences and compromises....

I used to compare myself with everyone.  I wanted those thighs, to be as strong as her, as fast as that one over there...Yup, spending 30-40 hours a week, for over 30 years in gyms and fitness centers  comparing myself to others.  Feeling like I could not measure up, feeling not good enough, not strong enough, not thin enough.  Treating my body poorly and talking negatively to myself numerous times a day, over and over again.

I DECLARE A TRUCE- peace in my heart, peace in my thighs.  This is the body I was given.  Thank you god, for giving me this strong, healthy body.

Society bombards us with perfect images...sexy, fit, airbrushed bodies in magazines...on billboards, on TV and in the movies.  You cannot escape it.  The exposure is daily, and endless...Barbie anyone?

It is time to accept the wonder and truth of our own bodies, our own thoughts, our own success and failures.  To love our thighs and our bellies.  To understand and accept that we are not supposed to be perfect-we are only supposed to be our best selves...give our best efforts.

NO ONE has my unique gene pool, no one has my experiences.  I am the only one who can play the lead in the story of me, just as you are the only one who can play the lead in the story of you.

Step into yourself, play hard as you.  Don't compare your hair with the woman standing in front of you at the supermarket, the butt of the woman on the treadmill next to you,  the number of push-ups the woman next to you is doing at boot-camp.  Be proud of what is yours, take ownership of it.

I am done comparing myself to others, done with the conflict that it stirs inside of me, the judgement of myself...the hatred.

Look at yourself in the mirror tonight, and list at least 10 things you love about yourself!

Here is my list: my smile, my laugh, my back, my strength, my dedication, I care about others, I am a good listener, my stamina, I like to give, I like to share...

2 comments:

  1. Love this. I say this to myself often yet find myself doing anyway. In all honesty I love the person I am now but it has been years of struggles. My ten things I like about myself are as follows: my laughter, my sense of humor, my smile, my compassion for others, my generosity in giving to others, my determination, my strength (emotionally, working on the physical) , I like to share, my legs aren't bad and my capacity to forgive.

    Thank you Annie for making me think and look at the good in myself and not that I can't keep up in boot camp or other classes. I have come much further than when I started with encouragement from you and other special people I have met and become friends with in the past 10 months. You ROCK!!#

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a tough thing to crawl out of... esp. in a world of 5'8" gals. Jokes work for a bit, beating the hell out of yourself keeps the weight down for a bit, but in the end, we just have to accept what God gave us and ride that pony like the wind! You are a terrific inspiration and teacher - it's your calling. I'm so happy to see you spread the wealth pal, you have plenty to go around. And... anyone who can headbutt me before a soccer game sans helmets gets my vote for the toughest babe around! You always made me feel like playing better - and now that chapter continues, I love it and YOU! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete

A Valentines gift to yourself of time and a wish for you…

I see the apple on the table, I hear my stomach growl, I start to calculate as the numbers tick away in my head...60+80=140+50=190+10+120= ...