Saturday, January 24, 2015

Storm Clouds

The breeze hits my face as I glide through the air on the swing....back and forth, back and forth.  It is soothing, mesmerizing, relaxing.  I then open my eyes to find myself back on my couch.    It was just a few weeks ago in the back yard, I was outside swinging.  I wonder why I hadn't come out to do this earlier.  It definitely needs to be put on my agenda more often.

I've learned over the past year,  since teaching Divine Sleep Yoga Nidra, that anytime I am feeling anxious, nervous, worried or troubled, I can just close my eyes and take myself to a happy place.  It only takes a few minutes and I am breathing easier and more relaxed.  Mostly I go to the beach at sunrise to see the brilliant colors in the sky and the soothing sounds of ocean waves,  the overflowing feeling of peace and calm that washes over my whole being.  The swing set now helps me feel the same way.

When you think back on your childhood, what types of activities did you lose yourself in?  For me it was swinging, climbing trees, catching polliwogs and hopping on a pogo stick. 

Try it...close your eyes, take some slow, deep breaths and picture yourself doing something you enjoy.  Do you find yourself smiling? Feel the air, what do you see? What do you hear?

With this easy skill, I know that if I get anxious, nervous, scared, angry, if i can just remember I can take 2-3 minutes and completely change my state of mind.

What other things can change your state from sad to happy, angry to energized, anxious to grounded...music, dancing, walking, reading?

I know how hard it can be when you are in a place that is uncomfortable and dark...
I have had many moments in my life where I have felt trapped under a dark storm cloud, where sadness and depression have overcome me.  When that storm cloud comes overhead I know it is best for me to feel whatever is going on inside...not push it down or ignore it, for now I know it won't be there for long.

Storm clouds will come and go like the tides of the ocean.  May your days be filled with more sunshine, blue skies and white puffy clouds rather than dark stormy ones.  Yet know that with each storm there is growth and understanding happening deep inside  that is making us stronger.  


1 comment:

A Valentines gift to yourself of time and a wish for you…

I see the apple on the table, I hear my stomach growl, I start to calculate as the numbers tick away in my head...60+80=140+50=190+10+120= ...