Saturday, January 24, 2015

Pete Rose

out about Pete R
I was born in 1963,  and adopted in 1964... I had jet black hair, lots of energy, a little clumsy and built sturdy; "stocky" they called me.

I flunked kindergarten art and finger painting....I was too messy and didn't stay in the lines.  My mom was mad at the teacher for squelching my creativity.

My brother, 2 years older,  adopted as well, had strawberry blond hair, freckles, was tall and skinny- my exact opposite.  He could draw, he could write, he was artistic and creative.  I was like a bull in a china shop.

As we grew I wanted to be his friend.  I wanted to be just like him.   I tried to play ball in the backyard with him and his friends, but always ended up getting hurt.

At 8 years old I started recreational softball, with my dad as the coach.  I was a hard worker...I could throw and run like a boy.  That made me feel special.  I could play any position.  I was strong, tough and fearless, and still had short black hair.

One day my dad and I were watching the Red Sox, and Pete Rose* took an amazing head first slide into home plate.  He was strong, sturdy, fearless and had short black hair.  I said to my dad with my 8 year old innocent  grin " I wonder if Pete Rose is my natural father?".

He smiled broadly  and nicely said "well, you certainly slide like him!".  To this day, it is one of my dads favorite stories.

* Just to be clear,  this was long before the gambling scandal that broke about Pete Rose!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Valentines gift to yourself of time and a wish for you…

I see the apple on the table, I hear my stomach growl, I start to calculate as the numbers tick away in my head...60+80=140+50=190+10+120= ...